In Person-Oil and Cold Wax Painting with Micki High
Friday, April 23: 9 am-1pm
Saturday, April 24: 9 am-12 pm
Sunday, April 25: 9 am- 12 pm
In this class for beginners, students will receive a thorough introduction to this exciting medium, which allows for techniques and long work times that no other medium can offer. Once oil paint is mixed with the cold wax, the combination is that of frosting and it spreads like butter! We will paint in an impressionist and abstract manner. Students are encouraged to bring photo references of either gardens, landscapes, or flowers. You will be working on Arches Oil paper and, if you wish, Encausticbord panels (optional). We will discuss harmonious palettes, gray scale, activating your substrate, working in black and white, monotones, triads and use of various tools to develop your paintings. Students will complete one to two paintings suitable for matting and framing.
Past students have expressed positive feedback on the energy of this fun class, the pleasure of discovering a new medium, and the fun they had creating.
Some supplies are provided; supply list for remaining items is available online.
In-Person Fee: $158 CCC Members / $190 Non-Members
Oil and Cold Wax Medium 3 Day Workshop
Many supplies will be provided by CCC and instructor. The following items are supplied by students. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in doing an oil paint share.
- Arches Oil Paper https://www.dickblick.com/items/artist-tape-1-x-60-yds-white
- Ampersand Encausticbord Cradled Panel, OPTIONAL https://www.dickblick.com/products/ampersand-encausticbord/
- Gamsol https://www.dickblick.com/items/gamblin-gamsol-odorless-mineral-spirits-42-oz-bottle/
- Paper Towel roll
- Palette knife
- Reference photos: landscapes, florals
- Tubes of oil paint, (note that 37ml sized tubes will be insufficient for this workshop – primary and any other colours you wish to bring plus black and white
- Variety of oil brushes and palette knives